2015年1月25日日曜日

making sound when eating

Hello.

This is the very first article I write regarding my theme. Since 'culture' is too vast field, let me focus on very small but show obviously different thing.

FOOD

It is not too much to say that food indicates each culture's identity. Even if they use similar ingredients, the way to cook, to arrange and to eat is quite different.

In Japan, it is common to make sipping sounds when you eat soup or noodles. They even have been said that they stimulate others' apetites who heard the sipping sounds. However, it is unique to Japan.

In European countries, such as France and Italy, they have soup as a regular meal. In Asean countries such as China, Thailand and Vietnam, they usually have noodles. All those countries are commonly hard to accept to make such sipping sounds. They regard those soup-type meals as 'food', not 'drink'. So they enjoy having them scoop by scoop.


When you go to foreign countries or foreign cuisine in Japan, be careful with the sound!

6 件のコメント:

  1. I have heard this information. I also don't make noise when I eat soap and noodle because I think this noise make other people uncomfortable even if Japanese.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. I hear recently, Japanese young people are try not to make sounds even it is OK. But I'm surprised that some Japanese don't feel good to hear such sound.

      削除
  2. i really like soup, but i dont sip when i eat noodles or drink soup. Maybe i was used to drink it by spoon without noises.

    返信削除
  3. in the philippines, it's really rude to makes a noise when you're eating noodles our drinking soup.

    返信削除

  4. Sipping sounds give me delicious image when I hear its sound in noodle restaurants.
    Bur, it's rude so I should keep in my mind.

    Thank you.

    返信削除